Monday, July 8, 2013

The Homesteader's Wife

We have done it! Christopher and Lindsay Hodge have begun to homestead. 

Since we were married in 2009, we have been dreaming of starting our own homestead. Someday we will have a Bed and Breakfast, someday we will have goats, someday we will be able to quit all of our "other jobs." Someday started for us in March of 2013! 

In the course of 4 months, we moved from Pocatello, Idaho, to a little town in western Washington. We lived in an RV park until our well was dug, then moved out to our land. We get our electricity from a small generator, and we mostly run on batteries. We bought a dog when we were first married, her name is Molly. Last month, we found her a friend at the pound. His name is Hunter. We were given three kittens, we bought 11 chickens (we have 8 hens and 3 roosters) and we are going to get ducks this week! 

I grew up a city girl. My dad was in the United States Navy for 25 years. We moved a lot. We were always near the ocean and we were always near the city. I have no idea what I am doing. 

I have always loved the country lifestyle. Rural living just seemed to be the way to go. I really liked the idea of living in a small enough community that you could be friends with everyone and do things like canning, gardening, making crafts, and raising animals.

BUT I HAVE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE!

So I am embarking on a journey that is sure to be full of learning, mistakes, and lots of laughs, as I learn how to be a Homesteader's Wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment