Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Purposeful Beauty: My Functional Art Jewelry Organizer

So I have been watching videos on Youtube about Tiny Houses... If you haven't heard of the tiny house movement, you should check it out! It's pretty cool. I'll probably talk about it occasionally.

Anyway, in two different videos, two different women had these really cool sticks that they were using to hold their jewelry... I thought, "I have Sticks. I have jewelry that is in a heaping tangled mess. I can make that." So I did.

I love it when art becomes functional. It's beautiful, and it serves a purpose. Having a purpose is beautiful!

So I went out to my husbands workshop and stole a really cool board, I went for a walk to the slash pile and picked a cool stick, then I found some yarn I had stashed away and I started lashing (yes real lashing... If you don't know how to do it, you should learn! Maybe I'll post a tutorial!) the sticks together and to the board. I wanted somewhere to hang my earrings, so I was planning on putting in some fabric somehow, but I ended up making a sort of dreamcatcher to hang them from instead.

I just want to take this time to thank my third grade teacher who taught me how to make a dreamcatcher. I don't remember your name, but I remember what you taught me! And I love it!

Here is a close-up:


It only took me about an hour to make. I think the next ones will be prettier, faster and easier to make now. I've got sisters, so I'm thinking "REALLY GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!" but we all know how that goes...

Let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment