Tuesday, January 28, 2014

From the Kitchen: English Muffins

Chris and I both really like English Muffins. I really love easy breakfasts. I am loving using my sourdough starter, so naturally, when I found a recipe for English Muffins on Sourdough Surprises, I had to try it.


Here's the recipe:
Sourdough English Muffins
1/2 C. Sourdough starter
3 C. Flour
2 C. Water
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1tsp. Salt
2 T. Sugar
Cornmeal

In a large bowl combine starter, water, and 2 C. Flour. Let it sit overnight, or about 7-8 hours or so.
Mix in salt, sugar, and baking soda. Then add the remaining cup of flour 2 T. at a time until the dough isn't sticky. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll with a rolling pin to about a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut using a floured biscuit or cookie cutter. Lightly coat both sides of each round with cornmeal. Let rest on a cookie sheet for 45  min.


Fry muffins on a hot, lightly oiled pan, turning them like you would a pancake. Cook about 3 minutes on each side or until each side is browned.

The first three were a little burnt because my pan was too hot. I would recommend using a med-high heat. Then I got the hang of it and everything worked out just fine ;-) In fact, I was hard pressed to save any for breakfast!


I'm looking forward to making these over and over!

p.s. Please excuse the especially dirty stove... a vast majority of that was from dinner (we had spaghetti and you all know how messy that can be!) including the random spaghetti noodle draped over the burner on the left. and the burnt cornmeal from these made up the rest of it. I promise my kitchen is usually a lot cleaner!

No comments:

Post a Comment